Tuesday 8 February 2011

The Digital Envrionment

The digital environment is forever evolving and changing. It appears we are in the midst of a revolution. As Soderqvist and Bard (2001) remark, the digital revolution is changing things far more dramatically than the hype-mongers ever imagined... the move from a society dominated by print and broadcast mass media to the age of interactivity is at least as dramatic as the move from feudalism to capitalism.

However, digital doesn't come naturally to everyone. In terms of how I can keep up with the changing digital environment, I should immerse myself in the digital environment and actively participate in social networks, for example. I should live in this world which includes Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. At present, I do not have a Twitter or LinkedIn account, although, I am becoming increasingly intrigued about opening accounts on both of these social networks.

In addition, I should find and subscribe to some interesting blogs. For instance, I could join some digital marketing forums.  I should also build my own blog, which I am doing now. It is interesting to see whilst I am writing my own blog that I still feel unsure what to write about and how to express myself. Furthermore, I should get a second life and see what it is like to live and experience other people's lives. Other notable things I could do to keep up with the changing digital environment could be to use more e-commerce websites. Using e-commerce websites such as Amazon save time, money and energy looking for a particular product.

Currently, I do not routinely look at news sites such as www.mashable.com or the Guardian newspaper's own media and digital sections. However, I should look regularly at these types of websites because they ciruclate the latest news, trends and stories involving the digital environment.

I have just navigated around the Guardian newspaper's digital section and found it very interesting to read about digital news stories, which included Warner Music's revenue falling 14%. This is predominantly because CD sales continue a steep decline.

This is just one way I can keep abreast of digital issues that are important in my sector. In addition, I could subscribe to relevant marketing and advertising blogs and forums, as well as trade press such as Marketing and Marketing Week. These publications are very good to keep up-to-date with the latest information in my sector and also provide details of the latest jobs on offer. At this time, it is very important to be actively looking for jobs in my sector which I may like as I begin to send my CV off to companies and firms of my interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment